Saturday, October 13, 2012

Step By Step


I remember the first time I found out we were pregnant.  Months of praying, researching, reading books, watching other parents with their children, and, of course, watching A Baby Story on TLC.  When that first test came up positive what I remember most was thinking, “Wait a minute, God!  I’m not ready for this!  I was just kidding!  I just liked the idea of being a mommy!!”  But God does not arbitrarily make life.  My sweet baby was His will for my life.  I had no idea what I was doing, but had to follow Him each step of the way.

That was very much the way I felt as I stepped off the plane in Zambia yesterday.  I was assulted by an entire gamut of emotions.  Suddenly all these years of praying, training, reading, hoping, talking to other missionaries, and imagining what it would be like was becoming reality.  I had an overwhelming sense of inadequacy.  “Wait a minute, God!  I’m not ready for this!  I was just kidding!  I just liked the idea of being a missionary!”  Deep breaths.  But I did not arbitrarily make it to Zambia.  This is God’s will for my life.  I have no idea what I am doing, but God does and all I have to do is follow Him each step of the way.  

Let me share with you some ways God has gone before us in this journey.  Our family left for Chicago on Tuesday, October 8.  God provided a van and an awesome aunt and uncle to drive us and our 20 bags there.  The trip couldn’t have gone smoother.  We have a supporting church just outside Chicago who housed us for the night and took us to the airport the next day.  

It turns out that buying a luggage scale is a waste of money.  We weighed meticulously (remember, I’m married to Jamie) to 48lbs which was 3lbs lighter than the required 51, but somehow they ended up weighing a bit, sometimes a lot, more than that.  Thanks to a wonderful check in agent we were able to redistribute the weight and didn’t end up paying for any overweight bags! 

All our flights were on time and went crazy smooth.  Our biggest obstacle was going to be going through customs in Zambia with a one way ticket and all our bags.  Also, we had purchased 3 year visas last time we were here and there was a chance they would be denied.  No big deal, really.  We would just buy new ones.  But they accepted the visas and just watched us as we rolled 4 carts of luggage (all 20 bags, another miracle!) out to our truck.  No questions, no searches, no second looks!!  AMAZING!!

So, here I am at 4:45am Zambia time blogging while my kids are wide awake.  Yay!  Changing time zones!!  When I think of the overwhelming reality in which I sit I really don’t know what to do.  So, I have to take this moment by moment.  I’m exhausted, but the reality is that my kids bodies feel like they just had an afternoon nap and now they’re ready to go.  The reality is that I only have a few days of this as all our bodies adjust.  One day at a time.  Moment by moment.  The ultimate reality is that God has gone before us, is here beside us, and will follow behind us.  He is confirming to us that this is what He has for us over and over.  We have a faithful God Who will never take us where He can’t sustain us.  

We can’t thank you enough for all your prayers for our trip.  There is still much to do until we are “settled” in, but we are praising God for His amazing provision and protection.  We’ll keep you updated as we see all God will continue to do.  

1 comment:

  1. Thankful, thankful, tha-ank-ful you have safely winged and wheeled your way to the place of your hopes and dreams. May God continue to bless your every step and open every door in the the great adventure he has planned for you. May even the rough places be made smooth by his powerful, omnipotent hand, and may his angels surround you in times of trouble. If love had substance and could be sent electronically, I would be there with you lending a helping hand, but, as it is, the Spirit will have to carry my love to you through the spiritual realm to your doorstep. <3

    Imagine this: It is 12:24 EST, and I am sitting at my kitchen counter on the the stool you sat on 2 weeks ago, typing on my computer with the sun streaming in through the windows on the left and the sound of the refrigerator humming a steady tune. Can you see exactly where I am on the globe? Pin point me, and post a picture of where you are staying, so I can find you, too, and create a place in my mind that I can touch. Is that electronically possible in the Zambian world you are in? I hope so. You are far away, but still in our world. See, I am still not saying goodbye! :-)

    Love to you and yours, from that persistent Susan

    ReplyDelete